Yacht Rental Holidays the Easy Way πŸ‘ Our Trustpilot Rating 4.9 πŸ‘ Click on this picture for our WebsiteπŸ‘

Friday 10 October 2014

Disabled UK sailor returns from a voyage around the world

SAILING enthusiast James Whale has returned home from a voyage around the world. James, who has cerebral palsy, has completed the last leg of the journey on the disability-friendly ship Lord Nelson. The 27-year-old has travelled 14,000 nautical miles on the ship, visiting countries including Australia, Brazil and Canada as part of the Jubilee Sailing Trust crew. Now he has spoken of his adventures on board the vessel. James, from Maer, near Newcastle, said: "I have had a brilliant time but it is really nice to be home. "The thing I missed most was seeing my family. I also missed eating oatcakes. "When I came home, I drove to my regular oatcake shop to buy some. "I first got into sailing when my mum booked me on a five-day journey on a vessel for my 21st birthday, so when I found out about the world trip, I decided to sign up to be part of the crew. "It was really hard work, but I enjoyed every minute of it because I love learning about sailing. "Out of all the countries I visited, my favourite one was Australia because the weather was really nice. "At times, it was a bit scary when the sea was choppy. But I much prefer sailing to flying. "I have a fear of flying, although I had to go on a plane to get to some of the destinations to board the boat, so I don't feel as scared anymore. "It has been amazing and I would definitely like to do something like this again." James began his first leg from Southampton to Brazil in October 2012 and spent more than 70 days at sea before flying home. In June last year, he flew to Singapore to join the 55-metre long ship on the second leg of his journey before the crew made its way to Australia. James then completed his last journey from Brazil to Canada before the ship sailed back to England. Mum Elena Sudlow, aged 53, from Maer, said: "I am really proud of James and everything he has achieved. "A lot of people were surprised when I told them about his journey. "But he is proof that you can do anything you want, with or without a disability. "James is a massive Stoke City fan and every time he climbed up the mast, he made sure to wear his football shirt so everyone knew about his passion for the team. "His stepfather David and I went to meet him in London when the ship came back to the UK on September 19. "He was over the moon when he saw us because he didn't expect us to come until the Friday after when the ship would be back in Southampton, where it is docked. "James initially wanted to be on the ship for the whole two-year journey, but no one is allowed to be on it for that length of time. "It was worrying when I got emails from him telling me the boat was travelling through storms, but he has coped with everything really well. "He has made a lot of new friends on his adventure and he is more confident now."

No comments:

Post a Comment