Charter Your Rental Yacht the Easy Way πŸ’― Click on this picture for our WebsiteπŸ‘

Wednesday 20 March 2024

National fundraising award for 'herculean' 262 island sailor


 

A retired air traffic controller who sailed around 262 islands in a 13ft (4m) dinghy has received a national award for his fundraising efforts.


It took Ken Fowler, from Mudeford in Dorset, over four years to lap every island off the English and Welsh coast.


Cancer Research UK have awarded the 58 year old Fundraising Volunteer of the Year after he raised more than £75,000 for the charity and Oakhaven Hospice.


"It's incredible, I'm blown away... I just wasn't expecting it, "he said.


He took on the challenge after he lost his father aged 50 and his mother-in-law to cancer.


"My dad was one of six siblings.... five of them died of cancer. The disease has decimated my family so that's why raising a massive amount of money to fund research is so important to me," he said.


"I carried a picture of my father and my mother-in-law in my boat so over the thousand miles I sailed they were the most magical inspiration to keep me going."


Mr Fowler started the sailing challenge in 2019 and completed the final island, the Isle of Wight, in June 2023.


"I completely underestimated how many [islands] there were - I thought there were maybe about 150 .... but it turned out there were 262!" he said.


He sailed all the voyages in his dinghy Yoda which he described as "literally the size of two bathtubs and generally just as wet".


"It's been a fantastic boat but most people would look at it and say 'you intend to do what in that'?"


Elisa Mitchell, Cancer Research UK's spokesperson for Dorset, said Mr Fowler "made such a herculean effort to help people whose lives are affected by cancer".


She said: "These awards are our way of honouring incredible people like Ken who give their time freely to raise money for research and promote greater awareness of the disease.


"Time volunteered is not ordinary time. It's time infused with passion, drive and determination. It's time honouring lost family members and friends. Or extra time gained thanks to advances in research."


The challenge saw Mr Fowler launch his boat 88 times, sail for 264 hours and clock up 1,336 nautical miles to complete all 262 islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment