Yacht Rentals the Easy Way πŸ‘ Our Trustpilot Rating 4.9 πŸ‘ Click on this picture for our WebsiteπŸ‘

Monday 8 May 2017

One man and his dog set sail on adventure

SETTING sail on an epic journey around the coastline of the United Kingdom in a small boat, one man and his dog are hoping to raise thousands of pounds for a cancer charity. Peter Matheson has cast off from Wick Harbour with his border collie Elsa to raise money for the Petal Childhood Cancer Research charity in his Bumble Ahoy challenge. The former police officer from Essex, who now lives at Stirkoke, near Wick, bought and repaired a boat which he named Wait and Hope. He will circumnavigate the UK including the Scilly Isles, Orkney and Shetland before travelling back to Wick Harbour in a challenge would could take at least six months. He said it is a chance for him to take part in the challenge of a lifetime while raising money for a good cause. “I’m guessing it’ll take about five to six months, fair weather sailing, calling into as many ports and harbours as I can, and obviously enjoying the fine British summer,” he said. “I’ve been sailing since I was young and I have poured a lot of money into this boat to get ready for this challenge. “To say I’m apprehensive would be an understatement, but I’m also excited about the experiences that lie before me.” Mr Matheson was inspired to take up the challenge after his sister Heather died from cancer last year and said he wanted to do something more than just hand over a donation. “This is a way of me being able to give something back,” he said. “To choose Petal Childhood Cancer Research was a no brainer as their wonderful work helps children fight this awful disease. “I want to fundraise as much as I can for them and spread the message, in my own small way, by doing this sailing challenge. “I am really excited to be raising money for them and can’t wait to get started.” In 2014, Mr Matheson drove an old tractor from John O’Groats to Nordkapp in Norway, and back again, each time via Land’s End. His venture took just under six months where he travelled 8000 miles at 12mph on a 40-year-old open Massey Ferguson 135. To donate to Peter’s cause, visit http://relay.cancerresearchuk.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/General?px=1189352&pg=personal&fr_id=1706

No comments:

Post a Comment